Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Belle is back

Kerm here,
The Belle is back on the mainland anchored near North Palm Beach.  The captains left South Bimini bright and early on Friday and according to them a fairly pleasant ride but perhaps a bit rough towards the end as there were some northerly winds pushing against the gulf stream. The trawler school they took last winter paid off in spades.  Over the last year the pair also took notes on a regular basis on how systems worked, periodic maintenance and the basics of both AC and DC electricity. We may have to get a service man out to figure out what the deal is with the batteries and charging systems beforehand but knowing how those two don't like to sit this may be delayed. 

I'm proud of them.

The straw man for the next adventure for them is a move the Belle to Savannah, GA perhaps for the summer or whatever.  Just an idea.  In reality it costs nearly as much to continue moving on the boat as it is to put it in a marina.  There are so many options.  I have a Dr. appointment in Miami on the 7th where they will decide to do with some other plumbing in my neck and / or give me the green light to go back to the cruising life.  I'm thinking they will want me to lay low for awhile but we'll see.

I'm still in Atlanta staying with my cousin John and his wife Cheryl.  They live in the Virginia Highlands area.  This area is similar to the Uptown area in Minneapolis but much larger and perhaps a little more upscale on average.  It's the happening area in Atlanta.  Fun.  Cheryl has made me a list of small repairs do around the house so my guest guilt is at a minimum.  Today John and I are picking up his J-24 to bring it home for a spring cleaning.  If any of you recall this is our old 24 from 20 years ago.  John has kept the boat nice over the years and has continually upgraded it to keep it competitive on Lake Linier.



No comments:

Post a Comment