Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Still stuck II

Kerm here,
It looks like Saturday for our bug out.  We're probably going to do it in stages as we want to take our time in New York harbor.  First Atlantic City then Sandy Hook.  The temptation is to do it all in an overnighter but I'm just not up for that.  We'll see what happens.
Now that we have some time on our hands Chris and Linda are provisioning for Canada as prices are 30 to 50% higher up there.  The exchange rate and VAT are killers right now.  Last year when I was up there with Dan I asked several people about the double digit VAT and they said that the free healthcare was the reason.  Hey, I'm just passing on what they said.  Don't shoot the messenger.
Provisioning also includes cases of oil, fuel and oil filters etc.  I think we probably added 500 pounds of stuff on the boat today but except for fresh meat and veggies we could probably make it to Michigan without doing much shopping.  The crew also bought more beer.  Linda said that I should quota the beer per day but I told her that if I could honor a beer quota they wouldn't have needed to buy more beer.  Hey, Sir Francis Chichester had a barrel of Guinness on board with the spigot at his navigation station.  All joking aside,  we do not drink unless we are tied to a dock.

I ordered a new windshield wiper assembly today and should be here tomorrow.  The new one is a parallel arm style with two speeds.  Some call it a pantograph.  The current wiper must have been taken off a Morris Minor or Model A Ford as it clears off about one square foot at the very top of the starboard windshield panel.  If I stand on two cases of beer I can get about 10 degrees of peripheral vision.  This, I might add, is a very poor use for two cases of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment