Thursday, May 26, 2011

Newburgh to Troy


Wednesday, May 25
Time to leave Newburgh.  Linda is back in Minnesota.  Back to Kerm, me and Warren on the Southern Belle.  Any other takers for an adventure??  Qualifications = ability to share a very small space with two nutty people and one plastic parrot,  willingness to respond to whimsical changes in plans, immunity to missed meals, crumby weather and very early morning wake up calls...also HUGE amounts of fun.


Riverfront Marina in Newburgh





Warren ready to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Hudson River

This is a rare "log fish" that washed up on the dock.



Warren and the 'Log Fish" got along famously

We left the marina at 6:25am,  hoping to make Albany or Troy.  The weather is what Dan calls 'severe clear', not a cloud in the sky.  By 8:07am  we were passing by Poughkeepsie, with the campus of Vassar College looking very lush.  The Catskill Mountains, around Kingston, were beautiful, reminding me of the Scottish Highlands.

Much to our amazement we spotted a PIRATE ship coming towards us at about noon.  Pictures show I'm not making this up...

'Thar be pirates!!'


By 1:30pm, we had passed under the Rip Van Winkle Bridge.

This part of the Hudson has some of the most wonderful lighthouses...

Our Favorite!!!

After a long but enjoyable day we pulled into Troy City Dock.  When I called the dockmaster earlier in the day to see if there was room for us he asked when we would arrive...I said I wasn't sure since the tide was against us...he said "I know trawlers are crawlers".  Kerm and I were thoroughly amused...That's our new motto!!

We plan to spend a day in Troy taking down our little mast and gearing up for the Erie Canal.

New adventures in the upcoming miles...locks and free mooring??!!  Very cool.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the pirate ships Dan and I saw in Florida...two of them! We didn't get any pictures, though.

    I think you will also like the Michigan lighthouses, especially on the Lake Michigan side. They are pretty nifty. :)

    ReplyDelete