Friday, April 29, 2011

O' crap, what day is this

Kerm here

OK, after the calm of a month at Isle of Hope we're back to pounding on miles.  Well, except that the currents in the ICW have not gone our way the last couple of days.  It's made a mess of our daily miles.  Oh, oh and the weather has also not been kind, as we had to sit out yesterday in the midst of bubba land at a marina that probably will go down at the worst place we will ever stay.  At one point, a shrimp boat came in just ahead of us and took out the grill on a Cape Dory sailboat ahead of us and used his dinghy for a bumper.  I could write a book on this place but I don't even like Stephen King.

So many stories...  I'm going to be a pain in the a**s to anybody that will listen when I get older.

I forgot, and now add this later.  We stayed at a 5 star marina the night before.  That makes the contrast between the two marinas very apparent. 

Anyway, the boat is running well.  We ran it hard today after being kind the last few days and we're getting just under 2.5 gallons of diesel per hour. 

We're tired tonight and have only done something like 57 miles.  People think we just sit on our butts all day and just steer according to the GPS with a nice wide channel.  NOT.  The GPS will get you close but it's like running a river.  Don't hug the inside and read the water BUT you also have to read the current both ways.  I took the tow of shame once and I'll be darned if I'm going to do it again.  The years of running river has now paid off.

Osprey Marina tonight.  Cheap diesel, cheap slip rates and nice people.   No tattooed women with an attitude.

Tomorrow is NC.

Kerm


Chris here

too tired to write much tonight...Kerm's right...our encounter with the shrimpers last night was the stuff of a short story.  Right now, all I want  is for our pizza to arrive so I can eat and go to bed.  Love it but tonight I'm totally pooped out.

Promise to write more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment