Monday, December 2, 2013

Yea, Ft. Myers

Kerm here,

We made it to the mooring field at Ft. Myers Beach at about 3:00 today.  For the most part we are done with the Gulf of Mexico.  When we leave here we go through the Okeechobee Waterway, then down to Miami and across to the Bahamas.  Except for the shot between the Okeechobee outlet and Miami we're done with the ICW for awhile.  It's nice but after a few weeks,  boring.  Anyway we are here in Fort Myers Beach and Cape Coral a couple of weeks before heading out.

The boat ran well and, at one point, I had to 'fire wall' it to make a bridge opening and wow,  all the way to 9 MPH.  I felt like I was in the race car again.  

I think the alternator may need a smaller pulley as the charging system seems to work better as the RPM's go up over what we normally run.  Right now our cruise is at about 1850rpm.  Perhaps this new alternator needs a bit more to come onto its own.  Research.

We are still seeing less oil consumption this year.  I'm thinking that maybe we were babying the English lump too much and the oil rings were not getting enough exercise. 

Today I did something nasty.  I slowed way down to pass a sailboat as to not destroy their zen and did a nice hello wave.  They turned around with a smug look as to show their distaste for the stink boater.  So I did what any red-blooded American boy would do,  I nailed the throttle and made as big a wave as I could.  I regretted it.  What I should have done is turn around, get close and tell him to move his traveler up and let out some mainsheet as his main sail twist looked like crap.  Dang, why do I think about these things later...
  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment