Sunday, December 1, 2013

Fogged in at Sarasota mooring field

 Kerm here,



It's always difficult to know if one should leave in the fog.  Will it improve or will it turn to pea soup.  I guess we're victims of our past.  In one case to prove a point Chris and I were having lunch at the Crab Shack in New Port Richy having cruised over with our 27' walkaround 'Harry' and I looked west and told Chris that it looks like the town is on fire.  Chris said that is not fire smoke but fog.  I said " lets get the hell out of here while we can".  Bad decision.  We couldn't see the front of the boat and I was forced to use the GPS as a guide.  Bad decision.  Two things, 1.  charts are not all that accurate for precision navigation and 2. the offset between what the chart says and the accuracy of an individual GPS unit can be several feet off.  At times the cruising line on a chart can be behind a buoy that you are supposed to be in front of.  Long story short we almost hit a larger boat and swore we would never do it again.  So here we sit in Sarasota.  If you survive stupid you are obligated to learn by it.

I miss 'Harry' but that's a story for another time.




No comments:

Post a Comment