Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Another cold day

In the 50's and very windy again.  Not much work gets done outside due to the weather and we're getting close to the end for interior work.  The boat goes into dry dock next week for the new bottom job in Tarpon Springs.  The manager there says they will have it up to a week depending on what they find when the bottom is stripped.  They will also fab up a new hause pipe for the new windless.  We are also having them check out the through hulls and exhaust outlet.  A second set of eyes doesn't hurt as we don't want any problems later on. Over the next few days I will be working on a spare parts list and probably service some of the systems just to get experience.  If I'm going to mess things up I would like to do it now and not on anchor some place.

Harry our SeaRay has had it's first showing and the broker is confidant that it will sell at a reasonable price in a reasonable time period.  While his prediction is pretty open ended I have confidence that he will do his best considering the horrible economy in Florida.  If anyone feels the economy is not all that bad come to Florida for a reality check.

Dan was able to hook the Garmin 192 GPS into the radar system this week.  While the radar is old it must have been one of the first ones to be able to hook into GPS.  While this will give us position on the radar he is going to work on having a track and course overlay along with track up or north options.  We also trashed the Loran navigation system as the government shut it down and have no plans to bring it back up.  If the feds ever shut down GPS we're in trouble although we are reading up on dead reckoning just in case.

Currently we have 4 GPS units on board.  The one that came on the boat for the inside helm,  one that we took off Harry that will go on the fly bridge,  one in my computer that Chris uses to plan and check up on me and a hand held that will be my anchor drag alarm when I'm in my berth.   Dale, this is the one that you gave me years ago. 

I better get back to work.

Capt. James T. Kerm

No comments:

Post a Comment