Thursday, January 30, 2014

Exuma Park and dang it was the inverter

Kerm here,
For those that look at us on SPOT we are indeed in Exuma Park in a VERY narrow channel on a mooring ball.  Way so cool.  Current is something but you could swim to shore in 3 strokes. Wow.
I'm sure Chris will have pictures as this was very, very high on her bucket list as it should be for anyone that knows spit about the Exumas.

Anyway, for the guys ? that are keeping with me on the battery saga,  the engine would not start today when we were trying to leave Shroud Cay.  No poop in the batteries.  # 3 is offline, #2 was my default starting battery and even #3 couldn't get the they old Brit diesel to start.  Generator (Riley) was needed to fill in for a bit of power.  None of the gauges read right on our way here and after a few hours of cruising they were still in the 12's. 

Here it is folks.  I was using the very nice digital inverter control panel to look at voltages and at this point I believe the inverter ic's were confusing the AC charger AND the alternator ic's.  At the end of today's cruise the batteries only registered in the 12's and only showed charging in the near 13's.  I took the inverter off line and started the engine and yea, the engine started to charge at the good old 14.2.  So, I hooked up #1 to a portable battery charger and in the morning I will again make it the main engine battery and see what happens.  Low amps and voltage kills a starter and Joe senior told me many of time to bring a spare.  Dang, I wish I would have listened to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment