Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Are we there yet?

Kerm here,

We left No Name Harbor south of Miami and made it to Bimini in about 7 hours.  The forecast was for 2 to 3 foot waves from the south / south east.  True they were from those directions but there were leftovers from the north the previous day.  So the way the gulf current works is if any northerly runs against the gulf current.  Bingo, mondo waves.  We had the leftovers.  So 2 to 3's, yes, piled on top of 4 to 6's from another direction.  You do the math, every x amount of waves the 2 to 3's would break at the top of 4 to 6's.  As I drove out of the harbor and started to get into them to myself I thought, "get me out of here".  I knew the crew was thinking, " Kerm is thinking get me out of here but please don't let him say it.  So, in the end I said "who wants the wheel,  I'm going down to the cabin to take a rest".  And that's where I stayed until Linda said "land ho" about 6 hours later.  I guess stinky crossings just ain't my cup of tea.

We stayed in South Bimini last night and moved to North Bimini today and are at Browns Marina.  They rebuilt it over the last couple of years and is cheaper than South Bimini at the Sands plus it is right near what some people call downtown.  Downtown might be a stretch.  You gotta be here to understand.

Horrible,  horrible landing at Browns.  Blowing stink but still the current was more than the blow.  A half dozen other boats blew it too so I feel somewhat vindicated.  Even Ruby screwed up a bit and he is a master at docking although I did warn him that the current was stronger than the stink blow.  Live and learn.  I think what you do is sit out there and watch other stupid people make an ass out of their selves and then try to not replicate it. 

Weather predictions for today for our 2 day crossing to Nassau were decent according to nearly all forecasts.  It was supposed to lay down as the day progressed and could get a bit stinky tomorrow later in the day.  We did not take the bait and thank goodness we didn't as it did not lay down today as it's blowing stink here in the marina at 1:30.  This crossing to Nassau has a twist.  You anchor out in the middle of nowhere, a gazillion miles from a place with land sticking out of the water with no protection within hours and then spend the next day in the Tongue of the Ocean turtle'ing your way to what the crew calls Nassewer.  Jeez, I love cruising to places somewhere out in an ocean.

Curmudgeon is what Chris calls me after reading my posts.  Actually she says "kermmudgeon".  After reading so many other blogs singing the praises of the cruising life I hope that I bring a bit of reality to it.  It is all wonderful and for me as it would be a bit boring if it was just about getting a good tan or going down the list of Oprah's picks for books.  If it was easy we would have every Tom, Dick and Harry out here destroying our sense of adventure.  Nuff said,  no sweet cakes from Kerm.    








No comments:

Post a Comment