Sunday, October 13, 2013

 Kerm here.

We're about 8 miles from the Ohio River cut off in an anchorage tucked between a wing dam and a highway bridge in about 8 feet of water with just a bit of current.  The Manson anchor hooked right away and I'll feel as comfortable as I ever could get while on a hook.  Which is to say I have two anchor alarms on and I will probably sleep in the salon tonight. 

The mechanical stuff all ran fine.  I set the gain down on the Garmin depth finder and it worked most of the day.  Well, until I turned into the anchorage then it was panic to reboot.  I will figure this thing out eventually but I consider it a contributing factor to my greying hair.

The valve cover has a leak that I cannot stop.  Or at least not as of this morning.  I think it's coming out of the hold down bolts so gooped the offending ones up this morning.  I still haven't found the oil leak in the front.  It wasn't there before we redid the injection pump but strangely I don't think that's where it's coming from.

I finally got the the packing gland just right as it leaks about a pint a day.  I guess it just takes awhile to get it fine tuned. 

I bled the injection pump this morning and no bubbles.  Yea.  The fuel filters are the absolute best at the end of the day that they have ever been.  The fuel polishing system that I put in did the trick BUT I am not going to get cocky as algae can spring up at any time.

We are running the engine harder than we ever have in order to keep up with our dancing partner but after the injection stuff was redone it just feels right.  Of course, the penalty is always fuel but at least we are closer to the Kentucky Lakes.

Strange.  The volt gauge on the fly bridge goes from 14 volts to 12 volts as the day progresses.  Son Dan may be joining up with us in the next couple of weeks for a short time and perhaps it's a programming problem with the regulator or something.  I am not a Luddite but sometimes I like him to check over my shoulder before I start pushing buttons.  OR would rather he pushed the buttons while I show the proper amount of amazement as it all works. 

And lastly,  we hit 13.9 SMPH  today with the current and the old Lehman was at warp speed.  The dilithium crystals were being depleted at an amazing rate and Scotty would be screaming " but captain I cannot deny the laws of physics".  Actually we pumped her up to 1900 rpm's and if my race car vibrated like the Lehman I would go into the pits. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment