Monday, July 11, 2011

Weathered in

Kerm here.  We expected to get out of Manistee today but severe thunderstorms are on the way so we're hunkered down for the blow.  I was up at 3 this morning in anticipation of our trek, dang.  If I would have known this was going to happen I would have chosen a finger slip Vs a facing dock.  So all the bumpers are out and the spring lines are set.  We're facing SW so at least the worst of the storm should push us away from the dock.  I also expect that we will have a bit of protection as the marina is on the leeward shore for predicted winds. 

Changed oil yesterday and of course there was a glitch.  The pipe nipple screwed out of the casting and it was pretty munged up so I had to file the threads the best I could and put it back together.  It doesn't leak but I'll bet that it will screw out when I change the filter next time. I may ask Greg to check at the shop for a new one.  3/4 16tpi is the size and I'm sure there is one as it is the same as a Chevy or many Brit cars.

The engine is starting to run warmer again.  Not much but it's a change from where it's been.  A couple of needle widths.  I'm going to buy a new thermostat today and keep it in the spares just in case.  I don't think it's the sea water pump or obstructions in the intake.  Greg would say cover the gauge and stop obsessing.

It's interesting.  We're running about a hundred rpm's lower the last few days and the oil consumption went from about half a quart per day down to almost nothing.  Note to self,  run at 1650 Vs 1750. 

With the exception of our toilet adventures everything else is pretty much normal.  Normal doesn't necessarily mean perfect i.e. the depth meter in the cabin goes out only when needed, etc.  But, as we have over 3000 miles on the boat, about a hundred locks and 6 months of living aboard we're seeing some wear and tear.  When we get done with our adventure I guess we'll have our work cut out for us.

We're talking again about heading north up the Mississippi when we get to the junction.  And this begs the question.  Will we stay for the winter or head back down in the fall?  My thinking right now is that we stay and get off the boat for awhile.  It would be nice to spend a bit of time with the family, friends and get the boat back up to standards.  We'll see. After all, we have about 1400 miles to think about it.

Kerm

No comments:

Post a Comment