Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chicago

Well, we made it to Chicago on Friday.  Lots of miles Thursday and Friday.  The trip across was the furthest off shore we have been at 36 miles at the center but lake MI was kind to us other than a quartering sea from the aft.  We had to be steering every second or we'd start pointing to Milwaukee or Michigan City.

Chris will update you on our Chicago adventures but we will be headed down the Chicago river tomorrow.  Had to pull down the mast and probably will take the Bimini down tomorrow to clear bridges so we don't have to wait for openings.  From here on in commercial traffic will be our biggest concern.

Not much to update on the boat but the temp almost hit 200 going across.  This is from the normal of 185.  All the books and blogs say that if the temp goes over 190 something isn't right.  But WAIT.  The upper station says 190 so I'll take a Greg approach and drive up there for awhile.  And if that one goes to 200 I'll worry. 

The depth meters continue to play tricks as both seem to go nuts at about the same time.  At the worst time.  I suspect something in the ground system as they are on different power circuits but appear to be on the same ground circuit.  If / when I do some rewiring I will split the stations completely going so far as to pull one station from the service battery bank.  I further suspect the grounds as the FM radio also has some quirks.  And  doesn't this beg the question of why a non essential piece of equipment is wired to the same stuff as the essential.  An interesting point also is that the radar has shown to be the most reliable piece of equipment in the bunch.  (The antique that it is).  Give up?  It has it's own ground and its a 10 or 12ga wire. 

While in Ludington I also worked on a couple of roof leaks that has been driving us nuts.  I now know why so many of these old boats have these huge beads of calking everywhere.  They can't find the leaks and in desperation they start calking the crap out of everything.  Applying bead after bead.  I'm taking a bit more conservative or analytical approach BUT damn, if the leak coming out the mast area continues to be a problem I will probably stop masking my pretty little beads and hit it with the Lindorfer stomp and start trawling the stuff on.  (All my racing friends will understand the Lindorfer thing.)  Note to self:  living in a piece of teak furniture and worrying about water stains is a PITA, and perhaps a fiberglass and formica interior should be considered for the next boat. 

Linda O', Mary Ashby and Chris are out in 101F washing the boat so I suppose I should be at least giving them moral support or going to the marina office and getting some ice for their adult beverages.

And off to the rivers tomorrow.  I'm thinking 5:30 AM. 

Kerm

No comments:

Post a Comment