Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Georgia on my mind

Well we escaped Florida.  Jekyll Island is our first stop and we are staying at a nice marina right on the island.  Beer is 14 bucks a 12 pack so it should be obvious that this is a tourist destination.  The tidal range is 8' + with 6 knot + mixed up currents.  With any kind of wind against the current at all the water really gets whipped up.  At 1500 rpm our speed range is 3.5 to 11. 
We have not anchored out for a night yet as I am spooked by the currents and tides.  We are now looking for a cost effective mooring buoy field to relax for a few days but they seem pretty thin here in GA.  We have also noticed that there seem to be fewer boats anchored out in this area.  Well, with the exception of smaller or rat sailboats.  With way too much invested in new windlass, anchor and rode I suppose I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point.  It should be noted that I have NEVER liked anchoring out.  Perhaps it's a phobia and there is a hot line or an encounter group I can join...
The boat is running well with oil consumption down to zero now that we are using the recommended Marvelous Mystery Oil in the engine and fuel.  Dan would call it PFM.  The engine quit once the day before yesterday and twice the day before that but restarted. At the time we were pushing the RPM's to between 1750 and 1900 to combat currents.  I have no idea what it could be.  We'll keep an eye on it.  Fuel consumption over the last two days is 2.8 gallons per hour.  We pushed hard the day before yesterday so I believe that it will get better now that the pressure is off to get out Florida.
I like boating but with boats in the past I would get bored easily while at the helm within minutes.  One of my concerns before the trip was, will I go nuts with boredom.  Nope.  I can drive for hours.  Chris and I do switch off tho as we both like the navigation part of the trip.  Time, speed and distance.  Where are we going today?  How long will it take to get there?  Are we on track?  What are the currents and will they help or hurt?  A common situation is that we ride a tidal current down to an inlet and then get hit as we battle the current on the other side of the inlet. 
Dan will be visiting us this weekend and he will be driving back to FL from Atlanta where he has been in training for his job at Global / World Airlines in Tampa.  It's a land based job but he is pleased to be working and found a company where there appear to be opportunities for advancement.  He's already looking for a live aboard boat for the Tampa area.  Like father like son I guess.
500 miles behind us, wow.

1 comment:

  1. I recall that you could never sleep when you were at anchor. Try to get some "local knowledge" for sites in Georgia that are cruiser friendly. You guys need a rest!

    ReplyDelete